Iconic Royal Mint collection from 1937 – originally issued to celebrate the Coronation of the reluctant king
It was in December 1936 that King Edward VIII caused a constitutional crisis that rocked the Empire by abdicating the crown. Edward VIII had been groomed for the monarchy from a very early age – but his brother Albert hadn’t. With this sudden course of events Albert immediately ascended to the throne on 11 December 1936 becoming King George VI - and his life (and that of his family) was to change forever.
Within 6 months George VI was crowned king and some of the very first coins of his reign featured within the Coronation Proof Coin Collection. A magnificent issue that was released to mark the historic royal occasion, the collection featured 15 proof quality coins – of which 11 were struck in 500/1000 Silver (the standard purity of UK silver coins during the 1930s). All the silver and brass coinage from his reign was included – minted to a proof condition.
Two of the major highlights of the collection were the inclusion of the 1937 Silver Coronation Crown, which was one of just two Crowns of the entire reign and the only one struck in silver, and even more impressive still, the addition of a complete set of 1937-dated Maundy Money. The only time a Maundy Set was struck for collectors during the reign and only time in a proof condition.
A stunning opportunity to own a real piece of history from over 75 years ago and housed in original Royal Mint packaging from 1937. Less than 27,000 sets were ever released – so stock now extremely scarce. Order today to avoid disappointment.
Key Issue Information:
- Magnificent collection of 15 proof coins issued by The Royal Mint in 1937 to celebrate the Coronation of King George VI
- The father of our present Queen, King George VI only came to the throne after the unexpected abdication by his brother in December 1936
- Collection includes a 1937 set of Maundy Money – the only Maundy Set of coins struck for collectors during the reign
- Features each coin from Crown to Farthing
- Housed in original Presentation Case from year of issue
Metal: 500/1000 Silver & Brass
Year of issue: 1937
Country of issue: United Kingdom
Obverses: King George VI
Delivery via Royal Mail Special Delivery
Estimated Delivery Time: 7-10 Working Days
Delivery available throughout the United Kingdom