The all-important first year dated Silver Wreath Crown – the very first crown of the reign of King George V
In 1927, after a gap of more than 25 years since the Coronation year of King Edward VII when the denomination had last been seen, a brand new United Kingdom Silver Crown was minted by The Royal Mint. That coin was the famous Wreath Crown. This would be the first crown of the reign of King George V - a full 16 years after his coronation and has become one of the most sought-after coins of the 20th Century.
The Wreath Crowns were struck in extremely low numbers compared to the circulation crowns that had come before and the commemorative pieces that were to come after. This meant that in the entirety of the issue of the Wreath Crown between 1927 and 1934 just 48,420 coins were ever struck – smaller numbers than any other circulating or commemorative crown of the 20th Century. Of these coins, less than a third were struck in the very first year of issue.
Just 15,030 pieces of the 1927 King George V Silver Wreath Crowns were ever struck by the Royal Mint – and all were originally struck in 500/1000 silver to a proof condition by the Royal Mint. Only intended to feature within proof collections of that year, the coin has become a must-have piece for collectors due to the scarce numbers now available and importance of the date. We have secured an extremely limited stock of this first-year coin – order yours today.
Key Product Information:
- The historic Wreath Crown was the first British crown struck for over 25 years when first issued in 1927 during the reign of King George V
- This all important first year of issue coin was only struck in proof by the Royal Mint and was originally only available within collections
- Only 15,030 1927-dated coins were ever struck – 18 times smaller mintage than the previous UK crown issue
- The first ever UK Crown to feature the denomination written on the coin
- Comes housed in Presentation Case with Certificate of Authenticity
Metal: 500/1000 Silver
Year of issue: 1927
Country of Issue: United Kingdom
Obverse: King George V
Reverse: Crown within Wreath
Delivery via Royal Mail Special Delivery
Estimated Delivery Time: 7-10 Working Days
Delivery available throughout the United Kingdom